Experimental work in photography started at the time photography was first discovered. Seeming it was an entirely new concept many artists would spend long periods of time experimenting with different methods of doing things. This still goes on today but with more controlled results. The concept of this brief is to show more experimentation in my work and I will do so by using multiple different methods which will lead up to and help me produce 3 or more final experimental images.
Juxtapose:
To place side by side, especially for comparison or contrast. I had to go out and take images which are contrasting and put them together to convey a new image or message . The image I created is of some meat from a shop and a painted doorway. I liked how the door being open seemed to cut the image in half and gave an eerie feeling to it. I then laid the image of the meat underneath, lining it up at the lips.

image and text:
Exactly what it sounds like, An image with text in or part of the image. This technique has been done in many different ways and could even be considered an area of typography depending on how it is done. It is used to send messages to people or perhaps a marketing technique.

montage:
A montage is overlaying multiple different images to create a new image. These images are often done to communicate ideas or a concept through imagery. Notable artists who did are James Gallagher, Paula Muhr and Stirzaker who each approached this method in different ways. This is a simple example i made. I got a picture of a model and added feminine seashells and flowers overlaying her skin.

double exposure:
A double exposure originated on film by taking two alternative photographic images on the same frame, without winding the film. This gives a ghost like single image that consists of the two shots.This technique can now also be emulated with Photoshop and layers. This technique I feel looks best on a larger format camera or almost anything larger than a 35mm film.
photogram:
Photograms are one of the earliest forms of photo manipulation and is done by burning the shape of objects onto emulsion paper. To determine the exposure of the objects shown can be sometimes difficult with the use of opaque or translucent objects as the light need to travel through them. The method is often set in seconds, (F stop). When doing this you often double your exposure time. E.g.F stop 2.0 4.0 8.0 16.0. Looking at the results of these times will determine how long of an exposure you need for your final shot image.
appropriation:
This is a concept of which you will use another artists work and alter it to give it your own meaning. The line between plagiarism and self expression in this work is questionable however the concept is to borrow an already famous image with its own content and meaning and then altering the content to give a different idea or opinion. This practice is called recontextualisation. A famous example would be Andy Warhol. His work with Campbell soup cans a notorious company and image and his pop art twist is what makes him rememberable. The example below is from a punk album.

What i wish to produce:
The aim of this task is to create 3 or more images which have a constant variable between them. I wish to call my self made project ' Beautiful Disaster' as everyone who has ever done photography will know that damaging your personal images and film is very nerve wrecking. That is why I am taking this opportunity to have a reason to go more into the experimental aspect of film imagery. Traditional methods opposed to computer equipment as the results are a lot less controlled and surprising. I wish to take pictures of things I feel look very beautiful or interesting and potentially 'ruin' them or give them a dark feeling.
I would like to try out a series of experimental ideas on my images to create my final pieces. I intend to use camera film with this project to see what images I can achieve using traditional equipment and methods then alter them after. Multiple methods I would like to try would be to tear, scratch, paint or perhaps burn my prints as well as delving into double exposures and long shutter speeds.
These are a few of the results I got:
On this first print I took a picture of a graveyard showing exposure testing (left). Once I had this correct I scratched at the enamel of the film away to create this piece. The image is kinda contrasting as it has a heavenly and tranquil feeling which contrasts with the harsh sketchy black coating the image.


This next image is created with two different film exposure combined together to create the final image.


This image was accidental, using two pieces of enamel paper on top of each other. When I developed it, it would seem that chemicals had partially exposed the image and leaked it creating an interesting purple fog over a grey washed out image. Not all experimental images are intentional and I like how unexpected this image turned out.

This was another accidental piece which I really found interesting. It has what either seem like chemical or light trails and it creates a nice appealing image. If I had more time to do this project I would have liked to go back to the darkroom and try and re-create or discover what I did to create this piece.

This image I dipped in chemicals in hopes of getting a washy print, however it only really shows on the white post on the image, I think this technique works best with plain, light images.

This is a set of double exposures which have contrasting content. The first image features a metal dark rustic walkway of stairs with an underlay of an open field park. The subjects clash together creating nice opposites that come to create an interesting final image.
The second double exposure is of a skate park ramp underlaid with a tombstone in a graveyard. The contrast of black and white imagery and concept works well.



No comments:
Post a Comment