Pages

Thursday, 27 September 2012

Enlarging and burning tests


When you have taken a film photo,as you would expect, the images are not only a negative image but about 3.5cm diagonally across each making them very small. Using an enlarger you are able to blowup an image to a bigger size while still remaining a sharp,good quality photo.

Finding the right photo
In order to see which of my pre-developed negative images i wanted to scale and enlarge i first had to make the images positive. In order to make the images positive I placed photographic paper under the enlarger in a dark room exclusive from other light sources. This stops my photographic paper from fogging and ruining the final image. I next placed my negative photographic film strips laid out on top of the photographic film. Both emulsion side up, the light is turned on for four seconds at head height.
Negatives
The dark or shaded parts of the image will stop allowing light to pass through it creating a light image and the light areas will not stop the light and will burn the paper darker. This will create the positive version of my film on the photographic paper.

Once the photographic paper had been developed, stopped and fixed, I could then see my final results of the photos I had originally taken in the positive format. After choosing which photo I liked best and wished to scale I had to go back into the dark room to scale.
Setting up the projector
In order to scale i had to remove the glass plating from the enlarger. I place my wanted image, from the negative film roll, emulsion side up into the glass casing.This stop the image from moving around inside. The image should now be projected onto the board beneath. I then set the dial to 16 to get a darker but more shape, in focus image doing any focus adjustments before placing over the red protective sheet. The sheet allows me to place photographic paper beneath it without fogging or damaging the paper.
Burn tests
To avoid wasting photographic paper i first did a burning test. This will show me 6 different exposure variants in order to see what time will give the best image results.With the red cover still on, I set the time to 2 seconds and placed a small sheet of  photographic paper. I was able to see the  photo i had placed being projected beneath stopped by a red light. this allowed me to line up the photographic paper to an area on the picture.Once lined up, i turned off the light and removed the red safety cover. Holding black paper semi over the photo but not touching it i started the two second timer.When finished, I moved the black paper along the photographic paper a little and repeated the same process till i had done it 6 or so times. The photographic paper, once developed, will have 6 different shades to decide which shade i liked best. The best for me was 4 seconds exposure. This was the amount of time I needed to spend on the photo i needed to enlarge.
The final part
I got a new, big sheet of photographic paper for my final, enlarged photo. knowing it needed to be exposed for 4 seconds just meant placing on the photographic paper ensuring the red cover is on at first. setting the timer to 4 and then running it.

Next i simply developed my photo. Here's what i got:



No comments:

Post a Comment