I got the lovely experience of trying out a box camera to create my own version of Julia Margaret Cameron famous photos. Her best known photo was of Sir John Herschel which despite having the ability to do so she would avoid perfect resolution and opted for a more creative appearance inspired by paintings by the members of pre-raphaelite brotherhood. Despite her none scientific method people often say it is the best photo taken of him showing his true emotions.
Settings:
Sinar 5"x 4" camera
Time 5 seconds shutter speed F8
Using photographic black and white paper.
Taking the photo on the camera was surprisingly simple as I had the camera set to "T" allowing me to optionally choose when to open and close the shutter. Using a volunteer I had them sit in front of the camera doing a simple pose that they could hold for 5 seconds staying incredibly still. In Julia Margaret Cameron's work she had her subjects stay still for up to 10 minutes in order for her photos to be taken.
Once the photo had been taken it would be in a negative format protected in a lightproof casing.Once in the darkroom I can develop my negative image. Once the image is developed I use a sandwiching technique in which I place the negative and photographic piece of paper emulsion side in having the negative image closer to the enlarger in which I will use to creative my positive image. I let the light run for 8 seconds before developing the photographic paper. Sadly my image didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped. Having this been my first attempt, given extra time I would go back and have a shorter shutter speed as the image is over exposed.
No comments:
Post a Comment